Saturday, June 26, 2010

Dayyyyy 2...and an Epic Cake.

Today's exercising plan was a fail...but today, in general, was not.

If we're talking about the whole diet/exercise thing, I did not get around to it today, because I went to East Longmeadow, MA, to visit Jimbo!  I didn't eat much today...low fat waffles for breakfast, chicken for lunch, and pizza for dinner, but I think I stayed within my calorie limit, even if I over estimate the amount of pizza I ate...which was a lot.

The reason I ate so much...I was thoroughly exhausted and starving from an 8 hour cake making marathon.  Jim is really into the whole Cake Boss style of cake making, and it's amazing, to say the least.  I tried to document the process, maybe not as well as I could have, but here's the pictures I did take...

Since it's my Dad's 50th birthday, and Emily's 18th birthday party extravaganza tomorrow, Jim decided we should make a cake for them.  After some hemming and hawing, we decided a Mets cake with a baseball field was a good idea.  We googled the logo, Citi Field, and recipes for cake batter, fondant, and frosting.  Yes.  All home made.  Ridiculous.




There are 3 cakes total...a sheet cake for the base, and two round cakes for the Mets logo.  After we baked and iced the cakes, we put fondant over them, and constructed a baseball diamond for the base cake.  That was the easy part...

The Mets logo was pretty ridic.  Jim was pretty much all in charge of that one, him being the more creative/patient/skilled/artistic one out of the two of us.  Everything here is fondant as well, and Jim painted the skyline with blue food coloring to get the darker shades, and the shadows.




We added the Citi Field sign to the front of the cake, along with the tall arched windows.  I actually was able to help with that part, because I figured I couldn't screw it up too badly....




8 hours later, at about 9 pm, we finally finished the cake.  My parents and sister love it, and my mom wants to have Jim make my sister's graduation cake.  It is seriously once of the coolest things I have ever seen.  Now that I know how to make all of the icing and fondant, and have a pretty good home made cake recipe, maybe I'll try it myself sometime...

Tomorrow, I need to work out.  Brett's grad party, plus the birthday party, then back to Brett's.  So excited :)









1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I have browsed most of your posts. This post is probably where I got the most useful information for my research. Thanks for posting, maybe we can see more on this. Are you aware of any other websites on this subject. cakes in birmingham al