Sunday, October 24, 2010

Decisions, decisions,

It comes down to three main options, and then a fourth possibility that I want to stay as far away from as possible:

A. Apply to a graduate program in Neag, and stay at UConn, for one year, possibly two.
B. Apply to University of New Haven, and live at home while interning and taking classes, (one year program.)
C. Apply for jobs and UNH/UConn, and if I get a job, take it.
D. (Not really an option, just what would happen if I didn't apply to grad school and the job market isn't working in my favor...) Live at home, find a temporary job/substitute teach/teach lessons/etc, while looking for a full-time teaching job or applying to grad school the next year.

I'm not sure what I want.  Earlier in the year, not so long ago, I convinced myself that home was the only place to be, and I could be there and either go to school or work, and be perfectly happy.  Now I'm not sure.  I'm terrified to start working.  As much as I think I might like it, I'm having doubts now, and I can't picture myself being a competent teacher, especially for high school students.  I feel like I need more time to get ready for that.  (I mean, seriously, can you picture me not freaking out if I got a real job?  Think about it for two seconds...yeah, exactly.  I see lots of crying.)
Everyone I've mentioned this to in passing says I should do what I want, not what other people say, and do what's best for me.  Too bad I have no idea what any of that is.
I don't know what's best, because I see pros and cons to both sides-teaching and working.  And I don't know what I want, because I'm constantly stuck in the middle of being in love with UConn and home.  And it changes on a weekly basis. 

Someone please help.  I'm not capable of helping myself.

0 comments: